Thursday, September 15, 2005

Tahiti's Beachcomber(5)

Dominique was eager to show me all the places and the people she met before.We roamed through Tahiti seeing everything there was to see,as much as we could,and the first month we lived on my stash of doe(about 10 000$),we tried all the restaurants we could afford and invited all the friends she had in restaurants and bought all kinds of tourist junk and my treasury went down real fast until it got so low that I started to look for a job.
First job I jumped in was in a polyester boat construction company held by a very friendly and very active frenchman,I stayed in 'Pacific Polyester' and made friends with the tahitian workers
in a short week,they really are a great lot,they are a bunch of happy go lucky, smart and straightforward people,I really enjoyed my stay there.The girls came to talk to me one day
(they were taking care of all the molding work) as I was bending down on the aft of a speedboat
unstalling the chair for an outboard engine a smooth voice with maori accent made me look up.
There they were; about 15 of them>>----> all the factory's female crew,impressive sight.
_Heyyyy Gerard?
_Hi beauties,searching for lost jewelry?
_No Gerarrrd,we all would like to know something.
_Well...sure,why not....
_Ahhhh Gerarrrrd,we'd like to know;How fast goes that machine down there???100K/hour?
Their wicked smiles and the direction they were looking at,didn't leave much mistery of what they were talking about,so I straightened up and making as if calculating this to the coma-----
_Well no, it usually speeds up to 76 ks on level grounds,but on a down going slope it can reach 95
to 96 kms/hour but then everything shakes and rattles and there's a risk of loosing some parts.
They all screamed and hollered with laughter and went back to their job,usual factory pranks it was, like in all factories around the world I suppose.
After the whole crowd adopted me,fifteen days later I woke up with 1 ooo ooo red buttons on my body,I called the boss and told him I had to go see a Doc,which I did and he gave me all kinds of medecine but the worst was when he told me I was allergic to polyester.
I had to quit that job and I still regret it,the guys were a cool tribe,I like them a lot.
Maoris are great.(next post>>--------> next job).

2 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Well, some things just aren't meant to be, hey? I'm guessing when you moved on, it lead you exactly where you needed to go.
Peace................

6:20 PM  
Blogger GPV said...

It's usually what happens when you move on,yes.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home