Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Daniel and after

There is about some forty miles from the sea to the region of Basses-Alpes where Daniel lived,he was dwelling in an abandoned village called Argenton, up in the hills,no roads led to the place you had to hike six or seven miles through out both,wild and tamed country side,sometimes the path was level but most of the time you had to go up.By the time I reached the small village from which started the path to Argenton it was dark;one of these nights without moon.I sat down on the side of an old water fountain(I could hear the stream singing as it splashed in the pool),and I started to eat a loaf of bread I bought on the way,that bread they make in the country tastes so good that you forget you have nothing else,half way through the loaf,looking up at the chariot and the bright North Star,I felt something tuggin my jeans ankles high,t' was a black doglooking up at me expectantly,on the road you don't leave someone belly empty if you can split some food,I gave him a fair piece of bread.We spent a while chewing in the quite night,I gave another piece of bread and I talked to him-"Hungry,weren't you?" he gave only a look back,dogsare not equipped to talk but they understand what you say and smart dogs understand almosteverything you tell them,this one looked kind of keen.I stood up and asked him chat like if he felt like hiking along with me,he waggled his tail and took the lead and that made me wonder some:how much could he understand?There was only one road leading to that village and he saw me coming and he sorted out that I wanted to take the path along the small stone canal going the opposite way,That's thinking.I tested his understanding of human language for everyday talk,I didn't have to emphasize one word or the other,I sent him ahead to find a good spot to sleep some and he did.I think those sheepherders heard so much talking from their masters that they learned french almost perfectMust be the same in other countries.We had some shuteyes underneath a chestnut tree in a spot free of snow,we cuddled one against the other,we slept well for two hours or so, which is enough outside when the breathing's so free, I must admit I smelled so that a pitbull would've probably attacked me,fortunately there were no pitbull in France in those days,Shuey would'veshot me on sight(lol) but he wasn't born yet(ten years to go).I was glad to cross a stream later on,I took off my clothes and got an icy cold shower under a fall,so cold it was it felt like my skin was burned,I had to rub for five or six before I could stop the shivers,I had a gust of hot reactionshortly after and it felt good, Blacky had disappeared I must've been to much of a slow dude for him,I got up on the side of the bed rock,chose a high spot and watched the sun rise,glory be.(later I will resume....the end you shall know)

1 Comments:

Blogger oldwhitelady said...

The icy cold shower from the waterfall sounds delightful. Especially, when it's so hot, here!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home