Sunday, August 07, 2005

In Argenton

I had only a few miles up slope to get to Argenton but it was too early to got up there, Daniel
might still be in bed and I had some drying to do before I got started.The flat calcium rocks were
soaking in heat from the sun and both my wet clothes and myself could use it,I kept changing places lying flat on them and after a while it felt real good, my clothes were still damp but not quite as before they got lighter to carry, I fetched out clean unders and a pair of socks from the knapsack and got dressed, my trunks were still moist but they would finish drying on me,I put on two Tshirts unstead of my wet sweater and tied up all the wet fabrics to the bamboo pole sticking out of my sack.
The sun was some higher when I felt hunger ring breakfast time.It's strictly forbiden to catch
trouts by hand in France,you must have a fishing pole and have paid your licence,I hope there
is prescription,but my 21 years old stomack didn't really give me a choice.I did catch a trout after a while, it wasn't very big but it was welcome. Cleaning, frying and eating that fish was easy and fast done but I could've had six more with no regrets but that's all I had that morning.
I started up the path which snaked through a forest of chestnut trees that was covering the slope all the way to Argenton,the village itself was on level grounds above the forest and it was
abandoned except for one house standing among 20 to 25 other stone houses,the Giacome's house.You could tell someone was in there because of the smoking chimney.
I past the village and headed for Daniel Cherry's place, about half a mile east, on the way I could tell he was up ; his chimney was smocking too.
I was so proud to bring in coffee,honey and half a ham with some candy for the kids.It ain't much but when you live two hours walk away from anywhere it's a fiesta.
I stayed two days by Daniel's and went back by the way I came,during those two days it started to get warm again and during the night it rained thickly melting the first snow and in the afternoon of the day I left it was sunny.When I got ready to cross the river once more I noticed
some yellow mushrooms had grown near by,the spongy kind, juvenile I has fried mushies and it was better than the trout. I got back to Antibes rather quickly because two hunters gave me a ride back to the sea shore, their dog smelled I was OK and slept with his head on my laps.
Many years later I was out of art school and I became a fisherman,and my boss knowing I was good at selling fish, gave me loads of sardines that we stacked in my car and I went to sell them up the Var valley and sold out sardines from town to town until all was sold except one basket. I stopped near a house built not far from the road, walked through the pear trees lined up on each side of the alley,there is no fence around that property.I ring the bell and he comes out;he's taller than I thought - "Bonjour monsieur " I say" You won a basket full of fresh sardines" he wonders if I'm not mistaking, of course he loves sardines but he wants to pay me.
"Non monsieur it's already paid" and there's no mistake.He smiles and says" merci".I leave.
Walking back to my car I look on the side and there is a big ripe pear on a tree near the road,
I'm not hungry and it's the most beautiful pear in the world.

7 Comments:

Blogger Appleita said...

Very unexpected ending. Glad you didn't forget about the farmer.

Nice story, sugar.

9:55 PM  
Blogger GPV said...

I try to remember everybody but sometimes a small fish just swims through the net.
Thanks for your comments.

1:10 AM  
Blogger utenzi said...

There is a strong feeling of completion to your story of your trip to visit Daniel, GPV. Is there any reason you have shared it now? Regardless of your motivation, it's charming and has a visceral bite to it given the primal urges that you focus on. You convey very strong images and feelings with your writing.

11:31 AM  
Blogger GPV said...

Many years after,I just realized that a simple farmer taught me more
in one single hour then my school teachers in years.
I share it now 'cause I have time
and it had to come out since I can't forget it.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Demon Queen said...

Beautiful story.
You are a very talented writer.

hug

7:06 PM  
Blogger GPV said...

I'm so glad you think so queen but good writers invent stories I just relate.

12:37 PM  
Blogger oldwhitelady said...

Fantastic! What a wonderful story.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home