Monday, May 08, 2006

Once up..........

Running Deer and Hands Above were adding branches in the fire while White Fang and his pack posted at the entrance of the cave assumed their night watch.
What was left of the family sat in circle around the fire, the flames threw dark shadows dancing on the walls of rocks surrounding the tribe. Great Bear, the chief, spreading his arms
as if to embrace his kinds, was simply capting their attention:
- It is time for the spring council, I, Great Bear, am saying so.We have lost many relatives in the fight with the people from the north but we cannot mourn forever, we must move on to our summer hunting grounds.
Great Bear paused and looked above their heads, to give emphasis to what was to follow he spoke with his bass voice.
nothing…..nothing happens in this world if it’s not according to our own deeds, but the Great One rewards or punish our ways…..AND….we have been punished hard. Why ?
That arose Hard Spear’s attention; that kind of speech did not bring anything good in passed times, he glanced toward One Word across the fire place and got a knowing look in return.
Unaware,Great Bear kept on;
What did we do? Who broke the laws? Who’s always teasing the hunters, mocking their mates and scattering discomfort among the males and females of our family? Who’s mating
with the married men? Can you tell me?
As Great Bear paused again everybody’s eyes turned to Moon Light, the young girl’s lips were shaking and she bent her head down, looking over the dusty ground.
Can someone tell me what should be done to such wrong doing person? Hard Spear stood up.
I can.
Standing up, Hard Spear followed through.
You all know me well, I’m the hunter who killed the black bear in the valley two moons ago, that scar was made by that bear. I never miss with my spear and I hunted and fought alongside you all ever since I was in age of doing so. It’s the first time I stand to speak in front of you, and I fear it’s the last time too. I say, I might be ugly and I might be simple in my mind but the Great One made me as he made you all. No woman ever wished me as mate and I can’t blame anybody for that, I just look down on still waters and I understand.
The only pleasure I got during times passed is the sound of Moon Light’ singing and the sight of her smiles when she dances on the rocks by the river, the way she sleeps, as sound as a baby……and I would miss everything that she is, if the Great One himself wanted to take her life…RAWWWW !! I would fight him to death.
So……Great Bear, since you want to punish Moon Light, I propose she be exiled
along with me and anyone wanting to join us and this very night we’ll walk away never to come back.
-So be it- said Great Bear-and I feel it’s a serious punishment for any female.
-What’s been said and done cannot be undone,so be it-added Hard Spear.
One Word stood up.
-With you !
They took their meager belongings and moved toward the entrance of the cave,Moon Light followed them, as they reach where White Fang sat, Hard Spear talked to the wolf
nobody heard what he said but White Fang and the pack followed the man too.
Next spring, further down south, Moon Light was singing near by a clear stream, her belly was full and round, White Fang was watching over the camp and the puppies were playing in the sand.

2 Comments:

Blogger Indeterminacy said...

There's something of the universality of life in this. Enjoyed reading this.

2:41 AM  
Blogger GPV said...

Danke Indie.

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home