Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Violence..........do we get it right?

I would really like to get more information on that subject, I mean besides what I feel and what I think about the subject. I don't trust what I hear from scholars and headshrinks on that topic because I noticed that every
step forward to better humanity is not due to them, changes that made humanity progress in history are due to everyday actions of men and women, just plain people, and those steps take quite a time to be achieved, before mankind on the whole can look down on past mistakes.
I feel that men_ males were exposed to violence and violent feelings for million of years before our times.
Maybe they know more about it then they think.

Human males are agressive, violence is always lurking in the back of their mind and some cope with it fairly
well, they distract from violence by having something interesting to do-
i.e.: races,football,sex,hunting,work,money,religion,politics and so on including smoking,gambling,tv....
Some men make rules to lessen their violence- box,karate and so on.
Note: Hunters have to be violent to animals -they run from violence by violent means.(I'm not throwing stones to anyone,I just relate).

Some men are aware of all this and some try to do something about it, unfortunately they see violence in others but not in themselves-so they answer violence by violence and the only winner is violence itselves.

I might have an answer, notice this ; We, humans, are strongly tied up by habits, habits are stronger than
intuitions and most of the things we learn to do well- we learn by taking appropriate habits to answer to specific situations. If you accept the fact, as a man, that violence is in you, then you can learn habits to keep away from it.

If you make a point of never raising your hands while arguing and if you make it a habit you win the first step toward peace. If you don't raise your hands it won't come down.
Then you'll find many other ways to avoid your inner violence.
I might be wrong, I'd like to have your view on this ...... Anyone??

3 Comments:

Blogger oldwhitelady said...

I had a really good comment written up then blogger said it was down for planned maintenance, so I lost it. I wonder if I can remember... oh, yeah. I was agreeing with you. Violence is continued because it has always been with us. They show it in movies and TV. Drunks sometimes can be violent, and they're especially dangerous because you never know what's going to inspire their ire.

Once upon a time, I was drinking with some friends. This woman decided to take a dislike to me... she gave a really stupid reason, I think she just liked to fight when she was drunk... Luckily, she only tore my shirt -- favorite shirt at the time, dammit!

5:28 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

I think everyone has a dark side and some realize that side of themselves,recognize it and keep it in check. Others refuse to acknowledge their dark side and allow it to take over at all the wrong times.

Your idea that habits can change violence has merit. Sadly, to many violence is it's own habit. As long as the person is able to obtain the desired results from the use of violence, they will continue to use it.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

(I thought you had stopped posting. Glad I saw your comment on Jade's site.)
It sounds like your reasoning might be part of a program that could help reduce violence in a person, male or female. Rage often builds up until it bursts. Domestic violence sickens me. Actually, all violence nauseates me. Peace: definitely is the way.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home