Monday, October 24, 2005

There's no title....no

I was to meet that german family and since they are real people I can't tell their last name, I was to meet them in Zolden in austria for Christmas vacations, I was young and stupid(I still
keep a mediocre score as far as intelligence is concerned) and the reason I was going to Zolden had to do with one of the daughters of that family. I was an art student in Nice's school of 'Art Deco' and let's face it I wasn't rich, I gathered all the francs I could and changed them into pfennings and I took a train to Austria.
Camilla and Virginia met me in their hotel where later on I was greeted by the whole family. We talked a while until one of them asked me in which hotel I was, when they learned I hadn't reserved anywhere they told me to look for a room as fast as I could, I was in a sky resort by
Xmas' time and I hadn't reserved a room ! Silly ! Camilla and Virginia walked with me as I made
a trip around the town to find a room. I checked all the hotels in the city but they were all full, the few houses on the outskirt were full too.
Then, when about to give up, when passing back in the middle of town, I saw a house with a gasthaus sign painted on the front, we didn't really believe they would have a room for me but since it was the last house we hadn't ring to, I tried the bell anyway, a woman in her sixties+
opened the door and stood looking at me mouth open then she called someone behind her and
a man of the same age came out and staggered when he saw me and he said something like
"mein gott..." It was really strange.
I asked Camilla to speak for me, I knew very little german, and see if they had a free room I could rent, the answer was "Ja,ja....and so on" and when we inquired about the price, we've been
told they'll rent it for something like 10 francs a day breakfast included, I was stunned.
This was so cheap that I planned to stay much longer then I figured before.
It was a big room with three beds and it was unbelievable. Camilla told me her surprise to find
how cheap it was but all to my joy to have a place to sleep, breakfast included, I accepted and told them I would stay 10 days. They seemed to hear that with great pleasure. Lucky me.
I was suppose to have breakfast before 10 AM but the nights were so busy I woke up past 12
almost everyday, first day I thought I missed it but the woman called me back and showing me
the living room said "frushtig" or something like that, my cup of coffee was steaming and there was bread,butter,honey and all kinds of things to eat.
It went like that for a week and they gave me a key so I could get back as late as I wanted.
One afternoon I was going to leave to join my friends and I don't remember why I was looking for the lady, to tell her or ask her something but I couln't find her, as I past near their private entrance I noticed the door was slightly open and calling her I pushed it.
It was a small living room and it had a chimney and on the chimney......it's hard man, it's hard...
to wake up to other people's heart.....it still makes me cry man....on the chimney, in full uniform
of WW2 german army..... it was me, man, smiling and the same age I had, but 20 years before.

6 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

That is so strange, GPV. That you happened to stop at a house where you resembled their son so closely. Their hearts must have nearly stopped when they first saw you. How did they seem when you were leaving town?

6:49 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

WOW, now that had to be an experiance.. I agree, How did they seem when you were leaving? tell me there is more to this story Please, Huggz

9:08 PM  
Blogger GPV said...

As I left and thanked them for all,
they gave me a post card picture of their house with their address and I wrote them a short letter once, in french since my german is so poor, it must've been hard for them to understand what was been said, but I felt it wasn't as important as the letter itself.
Lost track. They didn't show much
on my leaving; they just waved me good bye from the porch but they didn't do that to the previous customers.

2:09 AM  
Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

Thats a great story.
I'm sure you gave them the best week they'd had in years...

10:58 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

I'm speechless, dear GPV, but yet I too have had unusual experiences.
I think your presence was a gift to them, even in shock. No wonder this sticks in your memory. I'm sorry they lost track.

3:53 AM  
Blogger Appleita said...

Wow! That's a great story. They say everybody has a double somewhere, sometime.

I remember Jean telling me one day he was walking down the street in Paris. Coming the opposite way was a man who, he swore, looked exactly like him. He said it was spooky.

He couldn't take his eyes off him and the other guy kept staring at him, too. They stared at each other until they passed.

Neither of them said a word.

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home