Monday, October 10, 2005

Antibes revisited

I was about thirteen when my mother got me on the "Liberté" and sent me to my dad in New Orleans via New York,Liberté was a passenger ship of the old and late French Line.Not much to
say about the six days crossing to NY except that north atlantic can be pretty rough in winter
and that food doesn't always stay quietly in your tummy after lunch.After reaching NY some relatives put me on a plane heading down south,the plane made a stop by Atlanta and we took off to New Orleans just before noon so we had some food brought to us,that's when I learned I couldn't have beer with my meal and it was quite a surprise,different countries=different laws.

I spent five years in NO. split between High School and Bourbon St. where my dad played piano
in Lafitte's Blacksmith's Shop at night, later I went to LSU in Baton Rouge but had a nervous breakdown by midyear and I went back to France shorly afterward.
I had no activities for months, just psychological reconstruction.

I got a small job during the summer and made some francs working in a soda company.The world was spinning through the sixties and I was twenty.There was not much night life in Antibes in autumn, so I ended up in a joint in the old part of the city,it was kind of whisky and call girls sort of bar and it was the only neon spot light shining during the night so I got in, sat
by the counter,took me a while to decide to try a glass of Irish whisky 'cause I never been much
of a drinker but didn't regret it,it was good whisky. Two men were seating next to me and one of them I recognized ; he had been to school with me in Antibes' college(sort of junior high) his dad
was a doctor.He always said he would become a doctor too and that doctors made lots of money
and he could then have all he wanted.
So I turned to him to make sure I wasn't mistaking a stranger to be my schoolmate and when I met his eyes he recognized me-Why hell, Gerard, is that really you-of course it is,who else could
ware such a fuckface--- we kept talking on about what we've been doing and I learned that finally he had become a doctor as he had planned to be,his friend left and we drinked another
shot and he stopped chating with me for a moment to write a note that he gave to the barman,
I saw the barman bringing the note to a girl sitting five or six stools away from us,I was very surprised by the look of that girl,I mean generally call girls are not that beautiful,this one was.
She was half Asia,eurasian,and it was plain to see that she had everything in place where it should be(I really worship pretty women).
She wrote a note back and the barman got it back to my school buddy who showed it to me--
saying "That girl is crazy,watch this,she wants three thousands francs for the night,she's nuts I tell you"--- I made sure that he wasn't interested and went straight to the girl.
Hello Miss,I gather my friend won't pay 3000 francs to be with you but I feel different,in fact I think you're worth much more and I would like to give more but it's all I have I'll be so glad if you say yes.
She did say yes and she had beautiful everything and she stayed all night,and she left in the morning and came back laughing with croissants and sweet bread for breakfast,we want strolling during day time and it was very quite,we didn't talk much and she came back to my place to spend another night,saying : "You had your treat, now I want mine".
I did everything she wanted and I didn't charge her anything for it.

4 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

You were very kind to provide equivalent services at no cost to her, GPV. Always a gentleman!

She does sound beautiful.

3:42 PM  
Blogger GPV said...

She's a beautiful souvenir,ut,worth all the paper money I had.
Francs don't exist anymore,their souvenirs are non-existent,but I keep remembering her every now and then,and it's warm and nice when I do.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Gel said...

Memories that strong blanket us in warmth where the fire never truly ebbs.

GPV, if you're receiving spam comments, there's an easy way to stop them with a fairly new feature from Blogger. :)
1)Click Settings or it might bring you directly there.
2) Now click "Comments" tab
2) Scroll down to the Title on the left that says "Show Word Verification".
3) Click the circle that says "yes."
4) BE SURE TO SAVE YOUR SETTINGS, my friend and
5) REPUBLISH your blog :)
6) Then each time someone leaves a comment, a word will appear that one has to type in the block, like on Helen's blog
7) That process prevents automatic programs that can't type from spamming your blog. It can't prevent jerky people who still leave messages, but it helps reduce the other type

5:23 PM  
Blogger GPV said...

Thanks GEL, I won't bother with passwords yet, it's easy to remove spam, I might do that if there's too much of it.
I'm kind of lazy you know.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home